Monday, September 15, 2014

First interview with a "weekend craftsman"

First interview with a “weekend craftsman” out side of hardware store.

Me: What is your idea of a craftsman?

                Tom: Craftsman is somebody who takes pride in their work. I think I true craftsmen is someone who learned from someone else and didn't just pick it up on the internet. They learned from their generation before them using time honored techniques.

Me: Do you think you’re a craftsman?

                Tom: No, hell no I’m a shlub! I have no idea what I’m doing. Fuck that shit, all the intricate detail and shit, man you have to have OCD for that. If I slap shit together and its crooked I just sand the shit out of it until it’s straight.

Me: Are you happy with your techniques or do you wish you could improve on them?

                Tom: *sigh* well everyone can improve on their skills. I think my organization skills can use some improvement. I lose all my shit every time I put it down.

Me: Do you think you would get a better sense of accomplishment if you didn't use power tools?

                Tom: Oh fuck no. if I didn't have power tools I wouldn't even be in the trade. I look at all that work that has been done before powers tools I’m like no I’m not going to use a goddamn chisel. I make work for the necessity if I wanted it perfect id go to Ikea.

Me: Do you feel that Ikea has hurt or help the idea of quality furniture?

                Tom: They suck…. Well it depends, if you want wood and cardboard covered in plastic. Plastic is a part of the appeal. It gives people the sense of accomplishment who don’t know how to actually build shit. I've built shit from Ikea and it’s not too bad. I think it’s good for the weekend craftsmen.

Me: Do you think if that same person learned how to use real tools do you think they would get a sense of accomplishment even if the project isn't perfect? Do you think it will help them?


                Tom: Oh yeah, people are quick to pat themselves on the back even if it comes out looking like shit. They need a ‘thataboy’ and they think they did something amazing. I think the people who make shity projects like mine, or better, or worse, I don’t even think themselves as a craftsman. I think they are handymen like that guy who drives a minivan where you can’t tell if he actually lives in his van or not with a ladder strapped to the roof. He doesn't consider himself to be a craftsman but he’ll put shit together. Now I gotta go slap some shit together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment